This page has an outline for aspiring writers of material for CDS shows with both the details we would like to know about submissions, and a some details of current requirements. See also the list of shows currently being planned as Upcoming Opportunities.
We are happy to receive these or other proposals from writers and/or directors at email@example.com as we wish to develop a rolling portfolio of plans and scripts
Sketches Still needed for 2018 February Frolics
The February Frolics is our traditional annual opening for new writers, directors and indeed performers to try out material in public.
There is usually a general theme (last year’s was “travel”, other years have included “exercise”, “clubs” and the “armed forces”).
Sometimes this helps refine the opportunities but we invite sketches or outlines on any subject!
While not essential, especially if you have proposals for sketches please provide this information as a summary or consider the issues.
Sketches for the Feb Frols are usually up to about 10 minutes long – frequently much shorter, and have only carry on props & furniture as opposed to any special set.
The short play is usually 35 to 45 minutes long and can have a simple set. Sketches are the play are usually performed one before and one after dinner.
This year’s short play will be Mixed Doubles
- Directors and Writers – please submit sketch ideas NOW! – either original writing or adaptations
- Material that has some resonance to the short play is ideal but not essential, possible themes are the French, or foreigners in general, dining & restaurants or any form of classic comedy!
- Typical sketch lengths are three to six minutes
- So we can understand your idea and align it with the other material please give us some idea of what your idea is!
- Contact Details – Your name, phone number and email please
- Synopsis: Sum it up in one line!
- Cast: How many M and/or F
- Length: Approximate running time – even if not fixed – give range if not sure or flexible
- Type: e.g. Monologue / Two Hander / Visual Humour / Playlet / Radio Style / or Mixed!
- Origin: Author or Source – or Original
- Readiness: e.g. Complete / Draft / A Developing Idea / Concept Only
- Set/Props/Costume: Does it need any special items?
- Further Info: (anything else to add – e.g an except or sample gag)
Short plays can be proposed with the same format as the sketches, or the longer director’s play proposal form can be used.
This is also our standard format for full length plays – whether already commercially published plays or new writing.
The basic areas we ask in the longer form are:
- Who Are You? – your contact details
- What Can You Tell Us? – about you and your experience?
- Play – basic info on its name, author copyrights etc
- Play Outline – Very useful for those unfamiliar with a published play or new work
- Production Details – We want to identify anything unusual, difficult, expensive or impossible to stage!
- Venue – Our usual venue is the Queen’s Hall in Cuckfield but if you are suggesting a show elsewhere you can give details here