Cuckfield Dramatic Society presents
Set on a remote country estate in pre-revolutionary Russia, the story shows the dramatic fall out when the routine of daily life is disrupted by relatives from the city and seething discontent and latent passion come to the fore…
Consistently rated as one of the world’s top plays Uncle Vanya has as much drama and relevance to our lives as any modern play with themes that include family relationships, breakdown, money, and love!
- Cuckfield Dramatic Society looks set to maintain its track record of producing top quality shows with plaudits from both critics and audiences for both their comedies and dramas.
Written in 1897, Uncle Vanya is arguably the first modernist drama, full of conflict, unrequited love, frustration, rivalry, jealousy and a sprinkling of hope. It examines the complicated interaction within a group of people, secluded in a country estate in Czarist Russia. The play is filled with dramatic irony and with overwhelming themes of introspection, ennui and dashed dreams.
What makes this play great? Why has it stood the test of time? The themes of political and social change resonate with many eras as well as the present, the references to conservation and how man has impacted upon climate change and looking back to what could have been, make this a timeless classic.
- The show runs Wed 25th Oct until Sat 28th Oct nightly at 8pm, at the Queen’s Hall in Cuckfield
- Tiered seating and floor level tickets cost from £7 and can be purchased with no online booking fee via cdsweb.co.uk or at Marcus Grimes in Cuckfield High Street.
- For more info search for “Cuckfield Drama” or contact email@example.com or 01444 848 156
Audiences can expect “a great night out” and “entertainment of West End standard” with other previous comments on CDS shows including:
- “An inspirational triumph” — JK
- “Deftly delivered natural performances and the perfect light touch required” — NODA (National Operatic & Dramatic Association)