With our Double Bill taking the place of the February Frolics for 2018 the second show of 2019 will be a little out of the ordinary … We know audiences love our Christmas Cabaret but now CDS takes a step, or should that be a click-tap and a step as we plan something as spectacular for May/June next year…
Stepping Out is a comic play about eight aspiring tap dancers (of varying standards) who meet weekly for lessons and who we see develop understanding, skills and cohesion with the dance routines as the background.
By Richard Harris
Performance Dates: Wed 29th May – Sat 1st June
We are planning for 5 shows including Saturday Matinée
- AUDITIONS ARE 20th-29th November – see below
Stepping Out is a stage play with dancing routines throughout.
(N.B. This is the play and not the full musical developed from it.)
We would like to cast both people with acting and/or tap-dancing abilities, with an emphasis on acting – but some knowledge of tap will be helpful
- Actors who can’t tap dance will be taught the steps needed!
- However we understand a little experience would be helpful
- Dancers who haven’t acted will be helped to learn lines, act naturally and play members of an amateur group!
For those actors who need them we are arranging tap dance lessons (once a week) to learn the routines required:
- These will start sometime after Christmas and well in advance of main rehearsals.
- Steps required should be within the scope of beginners – as long as they have a basic sense of rhythm!
Since most of the cast need to act and dance (at least a little) we are holding separate auditions for each of the two disciplines.
Acting Auditions: Tuesday 20 and 27 November, 19:30 for 20:00, White Harte Inn, Cuckfield, RH17 5LB
Tap-dance Auditions: Thursday 22 and 29 November, at 19:30 Oathall Community College, Lindfield, RH16 2AQ
(More info on Facebook at Dance With Emily’s pages )
- For an outline of the roles available click here
- For questions please contact the Director Harriët Sheldon
About CDS Auditions
CDS is always keen to involve new people both on and off stage.
We are keen to mix up and borrow (or loan!) people with other groups (in our experience this happens anyway) as this enhances productions and skills. So if you are an established or aspiring actor, or director and want to work with us please get in touch or come meet us at a club night.
All CDS production auditions are open to all (time permitting!), with the director’s choice of casting based on factors including (in no particular order) talent, suitability for the role, suitability alongside other actors, use of new faces, experience and availability.
While we actively avoid using the same old faces from a small clique of insiders, there are lots of opportunities, but we also expect members to get and stay involved in supporting roles both off and on stage.
- Our annual Feb Frols show has a format and tradition which actively encourages people to try out or develop their directing and acting with support from more experienced members.
- Sign up for our mailing list and select the Acting interest and we will email you the latest announcements about new play, auditions and other relevant activities!
For Other Local Auditions
We also list some other nearby auditions here
If you are get in touch with anyone please tell them you found them CDS! Cooperative marketing is free and powerful!